Laws & Policies

OTDA Home Laws & Policies Personal Privacy Protection Law

Personal Privacy Protection Law

What You Should Know About Personal Privacy Protection

About Personal Privacy

The New York State Personal Privacy Protection Law (PPPL) protects you from the random collection of personal information by state agencies. The law enables you to access and/or correct information on file which pertains to you. It also regulates disclosure of personal information to persons authorized by law to have access for official use. Only personal information maintained by the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) is available from OTDA under PPPL.

The information in this section will help you know what steps you need to take to get access to and/or correct your personal information. If you have any questions regarding the Personal Privacy Protection Law, send your e-mail inquiry to:

How to Get Access to and/or Correct Personal Records

What Personal Records Can You Access/Correct?

Requests for access to personal information can only be for that information which is collected and maintained by the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA). Only information which contains a number, symbol, mark or other identifier that can be used to identify a person is accessible. Personal information exempt from disclosure and/or correction by statute or law is not accessible.

How Do You Make a Request?

Requests for access/correction must include enough information to enable a search. In addition to a name or any other available identifiers, the request should include any known OTDA program that collected the information, the approximate dates involved, and any known OTDA units or locations where information was collected or submitted. If the information was collected on a form, the form number would greatly assist in the search.

What Proof of Identity Will You Need?

Depending on the circumstances relating to the PPPL request, validation or proof of the identity of a requestor may be required. If you submit your request as correspondence through the mail, a notarized statement would be acceptable proof. If you want to access the information in-person, a valid driver’s license with photo or other proof acceptable to the Records Access Officer will be required.

How to Submit Your Request

A request for access to and/or correction of a personal privacy record may be sent by mail, FAX or e-mail to:

Records Access Officer
New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
40 North Pearl, 16th floor
Albany, NY 12243
FAX: 518-486-6935

What Happens After Your Request Is Received?

The Records Access Officer will acknowledge all requests for access, search for the information, determine if the information is disclosable, and either transmit the information or deny access as appropriate. If your request is denied, your rights to an appeal will also be provided.

How to Appeal When You’ve Been Denied Access

If you’ve been denied access by the Records Access Officer, you will be so notified in writing. You have a right to appeal, but you must do so within 30 days. An appeal must be filed in writing and mailed, faxed or emailed to OTDA’s Appeal Office at the below address:

Felicia Valle Job, Supervising Counsel
New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
40 North Pearl, 16th floor
Albany, NY 12243
Fax: 518-474-9389

For more information on the Personal Privacy Protection Law, please visit the Committee on Open Government Website.

Back to Top